Husband and I live in a small one bedroom apartment, Isuppose I don’t really need to say small because all one bedroom apartments aresmall! After getting married we have a lot of our ‘real life’ stuff that mostpeople living in a one bedroom wouldn’t have. I’ve had to get pretty creativeon how to fit into this space (such a fun challenge!). The biggest challengehas been the kitchen – why is the kitchen always so small in a one bedroom? Ihave the same amount of kitchen stuff regardless of other house space. Withlimited cupboard space we couldn’t fit everything in, and even if we shoved everyspace to the brim I’d go crazy having to empty everything out to get the oneitem I needed! So I’ve put things all over and am continually moving thingsaround so that food, spices, dishes, and appliances have a place where they belongand are easily available for use…and can easily be put back away. Here are someof the things that I’ve done to ‘fit’:
|Behind the fridge canisters I store our large serving bowls. These are a little awkward to get out, but the amount they're used it's okay. I also put our potatoes here, not quite the awesome storage as seen here, but at least they get good ventilation and they last a long time here.|
Some other things I’ve done to fit into this space:
- The shelf in my coat closet pantry had another two shelvesthat I put in our closet to put towels and sheets on.
- Our bed is on risers so lots of stuff goes underneath.
- We have baskets all over that hide stuff from view.
- Husband NEEDED an ottoman and we got one that has storage inside(having stuff in plain view that adds extra storage is wonderful!).
- I put wrapping materials and other flat items behind thecouch.
- Picture frames not in use go under our couches.
I dream of one day having space for everything and gorgeousorganizing systems that are functional and pretty to looks at, but littlespaces lend to lots of creativity! I’ve done such a good job and givingeverything a place that Husband thinks that when we move we can fit all ourstuff into our two cars…haha, oh Husband.
What have you done to fit into your space?